As a teacher of the upper elementary grades for over 23 years, I understand all too well the struggle of keeping students’ attention during those busy holiday months. I found a solution that I’d love to share with you! Picture books. Yes, picture books. Today I thought it would be fun to share my picks for 10 Halloween books for kids that can help teach important lessons. I know you will love them!
(This post may contain affiliate links which means I make a small commission if you make a purchase, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for your support!)
Older elementary kids need to still have fun and make connections with books on a regular basis. Picture books are perfect for teaching lessons and supporting academic skills they are learning in other subjects.
- Cause and Effect
- Character Education
- Historical Events
- Main Idea
- Point of View
- Compare and Contrast
- Descriptive Language
Not sure which picture books would be good to use for your upper elementary students? No worries! Here is my top 10 list for Halloween books for kids.
10 Halloween Books for Kids:
- The Mysteries of Harris Burdick (Chris Van Allsburg)
2. Creepy Carrots (Aaron Reynolds)
3. The Little Old Lady Who Was Not Afraid of Anything (Linda Williams)
4. Bonaparte Falls Apart (Margery Cuyler and Will Terry)
5. Room on the Broom (Julia Donaldson)
6. How to Make Friends with a Ghost (Rebecca Green)
7. I Need My Monster (Amanda Noll)
8. Stellaluna (Janell Cannon)
9. The Widow’s Broom (Chris Van Allsburg)
10. Leaf Man (Lois Ehlert)
Want More Great Book Suggestions?
I love using books to engage my students in learning. Here’s my favorite fiction and nonfiction winter themed books that are perfect for connecting science and reading!
I also put together one of my favorite lists just for tween boys – oh man can it be hard to get them interested in reading! Here’s 25 Great books for Tween Boys!