This May-Themed Informational Close Reading Packet has everything you need for a complete Close Reading unit in your classroom. High-interest, differentiated reading passages about George Lucas, The History of the Bicycle, Cinco de Mayo, Bird Migration, and Manifest Destiny are at the heart of this one-stop resource!
If you have never used Close Reading or even if you are already a pro, this 55-page packet truly is for you! It has everything you need for a complete, successful informational text reading unit.
Each of the 5 passages included in this resource is provided in two differentiated Lexile levels. One is in the fifth-sixth grade reading range, and the other is in the third-fourth grade reading level range. The Lexile level is given for each passage, along with a guide that provides the corresponding grade level for Lexile levels. I’ve taken all the guesswork out of differentiating and leveling of passages for you!
This packet includes:
• 5 May-Themed Informational Passages (each passage has 2 differentiated versions)
• 5 Close Reading Activities for each passage
• End of Unit Culminating Writing Activities
• Guide Sheet
• Annotation Guide
• Answer Keys
These informational, high-interest, close reading passages are included in this unit:
• The Bicycle: A Ride Through Time (Month of May, National Bike Month) Lexile levels 820 & 990
• George Lucas: Creative Genius (May 4, Star Wars Day) Lexile levels 820 & 950
• Cinco de Mayo (May 5, Cinco de Mayo) Lexile levels 810 & 940
• Bird Migration: An Incredible Journey (May 13, International Migratory Bird Day) Lexile levels 810 & 910
• Manifest Destiny: An Expanding Nation (May 10, National Train Day) Lexile levels 780 & 950
This packet is both rigorous and Common-Core aligned. Questions have been carefully crafted to move readers from basic, recall questions to higher-level questions where students must cite evidence from the text to support their answers. There are 5 tasks/activities for each passage, moving from easier tasks to more challenging activities. Each passage and its corresponding activities offer a full-week’s worth of close reading.
As always, please contact me with any questions!
Thank you so much,