This November-Themed Informational Close Reading Packet has everything you need for a complete Close Reading unit in your classroom. High-interest, differentiated reading passages about Sacagawea, King Tut, Election Day, Henry Ford, and the History of Thanksgiving are at the heart of this one-stop resource!
If you have never used Close Reading or even if you are already a pro, this 55-page packet truly is for you! It has everything you need for a complete, successful informational text reading unit.
Each of the 5 passages included in this resource is provided in two differentiated Lexile levels. One is in the fifth-sixth grade reading range, and the other is in the third-fourth grade reading level range. The Lexile level is given for each passage, along with a guide that provides the corresponding grade level for Lexile levels. I’ve taken all the guesswork out of differentiating and leveling of passages for you!
This packet includes:
• 5 November-Themed Informational Passages (each passage has 2 differentiated versions)
• 5 Close Reading Activities for each passage
• End of Unit Culminating Writing Activities
• Guide Sheet
• Annotation Guide
• Answer Keys
This unit includes these informational, high-interest, close reading passages:
• Sacagawea: Woman of Strength (Month of November, Native American Heritage Month) Lexile levels 750 & 990
• King Tut’s Tomb (November 4, King Tut Day) Lexile levels 800 & 1,080
• Voting: A Valuable Right (1st Tuesday in November, Election Day) Lexile levels 770 & 960
• Henry Ford: Automative Industry’s Genius (November 22, Go for a Ride Day) Lexile levels 860 & 1,050
• The History of Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November, Thanksgiving Day) Lexile levels 790 & 1,060
This packet is both rigorous and Common-Core aligned. Questions have been carefully crafted to move readers from basic, recall questions to higher-level questions where students must cite evidence from the text to support their answers. There are 5 tasks/activities for each passage, moving from easier tasks to more challenging activities. Each passage and its corresponding activities offer a full-week’s worth of close reading.
As always, please contact me with any questions!
Thank you so much,