This February-Themed Informational Close Reading Packet has everything you need for a complete Close Reading unit in your classroom. High-interest, differentiated reading passages about Abraham Lincoln, Meteorologists, Thomas Edison, National Freedom Day, and U.S. Presidential Duties are at the heart of this one-stop resource!
If you have never used Close Reading or even if you are already a pro, this 55-page packet truly is for you! It has everything you need for a complete, successful informational text reading unit.
Each of the 5 passages included in this resource is provided in two differentiated Lexile levels. One is in the fifth-sixth grade reading range, and the other is in the third-fourth grade reading level range. The Lexile level is given for each passage, along with a guide that provides the corresponding grade level for Lexile levels. I’ve taken all the guesswork out of differentiating and leveling of passages for you!
This packet includes:
• 5 February-Themed Informational Passages (each passage has 2 differentiated versions)
• 5 Close Reading Activities for each passage
• End of Unit Culminating Writing Activities
• Guide Sheet
• Annotation Guide
• Answer Keys
These informational, high-interest, close reading passages are included in this February unit:
• National Freedom Day (February 1, National Freedom Day) Lexile levels 850 & 1,010
• Meteorologists: Weather Scientists (February 5, National Weatherman’s Day) Lexile levels 760 & 950
• Thomas Edison: Famous Inventor (February 11, National Inventor’s Day) Lexile levels 770 & 970
• Abraham Lincoln (February 12, Abraham Lincoln’s Birthday) Lexile levels 780 & 960
• U.S. President: A Difficult Job (3rd Monday in February, Presidents’ Day) Lexile levels 820 & 940
This packet is both rigorous and Common-Core aligned. Questions have been carefully crafted to move readers from basic, recall questions to higher-level questions where students must cite evidence from the text to support their answers. There are 5 tasks/activities for each passage, moving from easier tasks to more challenging activities. Each passage and its corresponding activities offer a full-week’s worth of close reading.
As always, please contact me with any questions!
Thank you so much,