This October-Themed Informational Close Reading Packet has everything you need for 5 complete Close Reading units in your classroom. High-interest, differentiated reading passages about Strange Happening, The History of Pizza, Haunted Places, Dinosaur Fossils, and Leif Erikson are at the heart of this one-stop resource!
If you have never used Close Reading or even if you are already a pro, this 55-page packet truly is for you! It has everything you need for a complete, successful informational text reading unit.
Each of the 5 passages included in this resource is provided in two differentiated Lexile levels. One is in the fifth-sixth grade reading range, and the other is in the third-fourth grade reading level range. The Lexile level is given for each passage, along with a guide that provides the corresponding grade level for Lexile levels. I’ve taken all the guesswork out of differentiating and leveling of passages for you!
This packet includes:
• 5 October-Themed Informational Passages (each passage has 2 differentiated versions)
• 5 Close Reading Activities for each passage
• End of Unit Culminating Writing Activities
• Guide Sheet
• Annotation Guide
• Answer Keys
These informational, high-interest, close reading passages are included in this unit:
• The History of Pizza (Month of October, National Pizza Month) Lexile levels 690 & 930
• Strange Happenings (October 9, Curious Events Day) Lexile levels 790 & 1,060
• Leif Erikson: Viking Explorer (October 9, Leif Erikson Day) Lexile levels 700 & 880
• Dinosaur Fossils: Clues to the Past (October 11, National Fossil Day) Lexile levels 770 & 890
• Haunted Places (October 31, Halloween) Lexile levels 880 & 1,080
This packet is both rigorous and Common-Core aligned. Questions have been carefully crafted to move readers from basic, recall questions to higher-level questions where students must cite evidence from the text to support their answers. There are 5 tasks/activities for each passage, moving from easier tasks to more challenging activities. Each passage and its corresponding activities offer a full-week’s worth of close reading.
As always, please contact me with any questions!
Thank you so much,